Thursday, March 1, 2012

10 Quick Ways to Analyze Children’s Books for racism and Sexism

                After reading this, I had a discussion with my step father and I asked him to read it so we can have a discussion with it and debate. It turned out that we didn’t disagree with one another and we both agree with what the writer had to say. Especially when they discussed tokenism. How one race is depicted to this very limited image.  Not only did we discuss these issues, we also looked through children’s books to see if any of these issues occurred and it has. Asians, blacks, Hispanics, all viewed in a certain way. They all had a certain look that categorized them into their race. And that is why my step father and I both agree with what the writers have to say. Because besides talking about it, we also tested out what they had said. We also didn’t do this with one book, but we did it with several. Just to make sure what the author said was just. But that’s what my stepfather and I had to discuss after reading this 10 quick easy steps to analyze children books for racism and sexism.

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting conversation and experience, Mary Kate. You have the heart of a researcher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doctor August,
      You said I was missing three talking points but Ive handed in three hand written one before the blog was up. So I dont understand how I could be missing any.

      Delete